A little about me
Hi! My name is Collin Krizmanich. I’m currently a senior communications specialist, living and working in Detroit, MI. I’m an avid follower of all things politics, looking to use my digital-centered skillset to inform, educate and influence the world around me.
I recently completed my master's degree in journalism at Michigan State University. While working on my degree, I created content for a state syndicated news organization covering politics at the state Capitol, before moving onto my current job at General Motors Financial. Before graduate school, I received my bachelor’s degree in political science, interning at the Michigan Capitol in both the House and Senate.
I’ve built this site to share my portfolio, job experience and anything else I could think of that I couldn’t fit in my resume. Feel free to connect me via any of the links below!
How to reach me
Looking to connect via social media? Click the icons in the bottom left corner.
Senior Communications Specialist - GM Financial International Operations
Detroit, Michigan | May 2015 - Current
• Act as main administrator of intranet reaching more than 2,500
employees in 18 countries
• Write, edit and format explanatory industry news articles
• Design and build new content, pages and graphics for websites
• Manage editorial calendar, including all internal and external communications
• Conduct interviews with executives and industry experts
• Explore and utilize new technologies to enhance user experience and understanding
Assistant Bureau Chief and Reporter, Capital News Service
Lansing, Michigan | Dec 2014 - May 2015
• Report, write and edit policy-centered articles for
syndication in 25+ Michigan newspapers
• Attend legislative hearings, press conferences and committee meetings to report on breaking news
• Design and produce graphics, video and audio to supplement reporting
• Conduct in-person interviews with state officials, including Governor Rick Snyder, Director of Michigan State Police and Michigan legislators
Legislative Intern - Michigan State Senate and Michigan House of Representatives
Lansing, Michigan | Aug 2013 - May 2014
• Serve as point of contact for constituents, lobbyists, media and
• Draft legislative memos, reports and press releases
• Attend and report on committee meetings and strategy sessions
• Research, analyze and summarize policy proposals
Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficient in Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamwaver and Illustrator
- Experience using Animate, After Effects and Premier
Content management systems
- Proficient in SharePoint, Blogger and WordPress
- Proficient in HTML and CSS
- Experience using Final Cut Pro, Avid and AVID
- Experience using Audacity, Garage Band and Soundcloud
- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube
- Proficient in AP and MLA
Best of Festival
First place nationally for interactive website, "The Advancement of the Islamic State", Broadcast Education Association, 2014
Mark of Excellence
Finalist online news reporting, "The Advancement of the Islamic State", Society of Professional Journalists
International Multimedia News Contest
Second place, “The Islamic State and the Yazidis: Attack on Sinjar”, International Communication Division of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
Best of the Web
Third place, individual website, "The Advancement of the Islamic State", Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Comunication
Best of MSU
Online in-depth reporting, "The Advancement of the Islamic State"
More about me!
When I'm not hard at work, there's a good chance I'm out about riding my bike around Detroit. I also enjoy visiting National Parks across the country, camping, hiking and exploring. If I feel like staying in, my night will probably include a good — or bad — horror movie.
I also worked my way through grad school purchasing and rehabbing homes in my college town, six of which I still rent out today.